Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Power of Attraction

When I walk through the orchard, the fragrance is strong. The smell of ripening peaches is one of nature’s most powerful perfumes. Everyday I walk out there to test the ripeness of the peaches and I notice more and more bugs and the barking of a squirrel in nearby trees (he thinks I’m an invader!). Creatures seen and unseen come from all over, drawn by the smell of sweet peach nectar. When to pick then becomes a gamble… how long do we wait to pick them because the risk of being bitten and partially eaten by bugs, caterpillars or birds is greater the longer we wait.

These TexKings have an incredible smell and they are nice-sized, juicy and sweet although not as sweet as ones to come. I will be bringing more of these beauties to market on Saturday. However, I’m looking ahead as well because the sweetest of our varieties have yet to ripen. The freestone varieties are the most well-known and desired peaches of summer. The first of them will be available early to mid-June.

No comments:

Post a Comment